Where else but here could we hold the first "dead reds event" in the Barossa?
The Dead Reds Wine Group was formed to celebrate and send off, in appropriate style, older wines from our cellars. These are wines we may have been keeping for that special occasion... but we’ve perhaps now also kept a little too long? These are wines that are ten years or older and may have traveled a far bumpier harder road than others. Such wine that might still be a corker, or just simply “corked”? These events encourage you to bring along such a bottle to share with fellow wine hoarders for an adventurous evening of wine tasting. Some turn out sublime, some vinegar. But that’s what the night is all about. Wakes are evenings of sensory highs and lows, animated conversation and a lot of laughs.
• Friday 31st July 2009
• Evening commences at 7pm (concludes 9pm)
• To be held in the Château Tanunda Long Room
• Complimentary glass of Château Tanunda 2009 Barossa Tower Pinot Grigio on arrival
• Bottles entered for judging encounter a $10 entry fee
• Bottles entered must be 10yrs or older
• Guests encounter a $20 entry fee (no freeloaders)
• Everyone is encouraged to enter a bottle
• All are encouraged to judge
• No responsibility is accepted for poor tastings whatsoever
• All proceeds after expenses are donated to the Heart Foundation
• All are encouraged to continue post judging (approx 9pm) at the Tanunda Clubhouse
The groups beginnings
On the eve of a special dinner party, which was to boast a Penfolds Grange, the challenge was set to find a wine that could match such a pedigree. Alas, all the “special” old wines in the cellar were too old to risk. And that’s when the seed was planted for a special night dedicated to brave wine tasting – to boldly drink what should have already been boldy drunk! The idea was shared on Facebook and the Dead Reds Wine Group now has over 280 members with quarterly events, called “Wakes”.
It’s time to share this concept with the Barossa.
The Dead Red Wake Celebrates Old Wine In Style
Charlie Helen Robinson
Here tis the official facebook event :
**if you need help with accommodation, i have some numbers etc in all prices. let me know how you go with your planning.