Image by Kim Bach via FlickrThe Dead Reds Wine Group was formed to celebrate and send off, in appropriate style, older wines from our cellars. These are wines we may have been keeping for that special occasion... but we’ve perhaps now also kept a little too long? These are wines that are ten years or older and may have traveled a far bumpier harder road than others. Such wine that might still be a corker, or just simply “corked”?
These events encourage you to bring along such a bottle to share with fellow wine hoarders for an adventurous evening of wine tasting. Some turn out sublime, some vinegar. But that’s what the night is all about. Wakes are evenings of sensory highs and lows, animated conversation and a lot of laughs.
• Friday 4th September 2009
• Evening commences at 7pm (concludes 9pm)
• To be held at the Royal Hotel in Kent Town (front VIP area)
• Complimentary glass on arrival
• Guests encounter a $20 entry fee (no freeloaders)
• Everyone is encouraged to enter a bottle
• Bottles entered for judging encounter a $10 entry fee
• Bottles entered must be 10yrs or older
• All are encouraged to help with judging
• No responsibility is accepted for poor tastings whatsoever
• All proceeds after expenses are donated to the Heart Foundation
• All are encouraged to remain for the after parteee
The groups beginnings
On the eve of a special dinner party, which was to boast a Penfolds Grange, the challenge was set to find a wine that could match such a pedigree. Alas, all the “special” old wines in the cellar were too old to risk. And that’s when the seed was planted for a special night dedicated to brave wine tasting – to boldly drink what should have already been boldy drunk! The idea was shared on Facebook and the Dead Reds Wine Group now has nearly 400 members with quarterly events, called “Wakes”.
The Dead Red Wake Celebrates Old Wine In Style
Charlie Helen Robinson